Christ Lutheran Church, LC–MS, is a congregation where those baptized into the redemption of Our Lord Jesus Christ are strengthened for life in the world and nourished unto life everlasting through the gifts of the Lord’s blessed Word and most holy Sacraments.
We rejoice in the wisdom and insight of the saints throughout the millennia, and we cherish and confess the faith of the Reformation as contained in the Ecumenical Creeds and the Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Here, you will hear God’s Word preached in its purity and truth, our Lord’s Sacraments rightly offered, and the wisdom of the Holy Scriptures taught through the celebration of the historic Liturgy and regular study groups.
As Lutherans, we believe that true worship is not about what we have to give to God, but about what God has and continues to give to us: forgiveness, life, and salvation, through the preaching of His Word and the mystery of His Sacraments. Therefore, we gather every Sunday, and all other observed feast days, to participate in the historic Liturgy of the Church, there to hear the preaching of the Word and receive the endless blessings of the Lord’s Supper. In this worship, we confess the essence of our faith: Salvation by grace through faith, purchased by Christ’s atoning sacrifice and poured out for us through His Word and Sacraments.
Born into the Body of Christ through baptism and being renewed weekly in receiving that most Holy Communion, we believe we are truly members of His One Body. Therefore, we express this union with our fellow members by living together as active participants within the community of the Church. Likewise, as Christ, the Lover of Mankind, came to those who knew Him not, so we too extend His love to those outside the Church.
As a community of faith united together in our confession of Christ and of the teachings of his Apostles, studying the Word of God is central to our life together. Christ Lutheran therefore offers many opportunities for ongoing education and catechesis in the Scriptures and the teachings of the Christian Faith.
Koinonia (‘Communion’): A group which meets monthly for good home-cooked food and edifying study and discussion on books covering topics relevant to our time.
Gemutlichkeit (‘Good times’): A merry monthly meeting around food, fellowship, and the study of God’s Word.
Bible and Breakfast: Every Friday morning at 6:30 AM, we meet for a continuous reading through of the Bible, followed by breakfast at Broad Street Baking Co. and Café.
LifeLight: A laid-back daytime Bible study that meets at the church on Wednesdays at 9:30 AM every Spring and Autumn. A new book of the Bible is covered each season.
VBS: Vacation Bible School, every summer. Contact us for more information!
Seasonal Classes: Whether on Christian Wisdom, Church History, Philosophy or Old Testament Interpretation, additional classes are offered throughout the year. To see what’s going on now or what’s coming soon, click here.
SERVANTS IN CHRIST
THE FIRST 50 YEARS
That’s where it all began in January, 1957, when the Baptized children of God at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Jackson unanimously resolved to “adopt and organize a mission of Our Redeemer congregation to be located in the northern section of Jackson, Mississippi and that services be held the first Sunday in February, 1957.” Going forward by faith, Christ Lutheran Church conducted their first worship service on February 3, 1957 with thirty-three people in attendance. By April, fourteen families requested transfer of membership to the new mission, and in May the present property was purchased for $25,000. A candidate was called from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, and on August 4, 1957, the congregation installed their first pastor, Rev. John D. Huber.
Within months, the new pastor and his small flock began the task of constructing a new building for the church. Ground was broken on December 8, 1957, and the present building was completed 6 months later. A service of dedication was held on Sunday afternoon, June 15, 1958.
The hand-crafted silhouette of Christ in the chancel was developed by the Ecclesiastical Arts Department of Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO, and was dedicated on June 25, 1967 in memory of John Clemmer who served as first president of the congregation. The silhouette and the words from Matthew 11:28, “Come Unto Me, All Ye Who Labor, and I Will Give You Rest,” continue to provide an inspiring focal point for all who come before the Lord to receive His gifts of forgiveness for life and salvation.
In the years that followed, the congregation at Christ Lutheran Church continued to receive God’s gifts and blessings, worshipping and fellowshipping together, sharing weddings and funerals, baptisms and confirmations, and working together in various outreach projects. The congregation grew, and a large building addition of Sunday School rooms and a Fellowship Hall was dedicated on February 13, 1983. Now celebrating over 50 years of life together at Christ Lutheran Church, we thank and praise God as He continues to provide His gifts and to have good use of us to share His gifts for the life of the world.